Face ID brings convenience to you. There is no need to take off your gloves to unlock your iPhone when you are outside in a snowstorm. You can simply hold your iPhone up to your face and it will recognize you. Even if you are wearing a mask, Face ID can work well. However, if you suddenly run into iPhone Face ID not working problem but you don't remember the digit passcode or you only set up a Face ID, the locked iPhone will get your life into a jam. So, in this article, you can find effective ways to fix your issue.
- Part 1. Check Face ID Unlock Condition
- Part 2. Check iPhone
- Part 3. Solve iPhone Face ID Not Working by MagFone iPhone Unlocker
Part 1. Check Face ID Unlock Condition
First of all, if your iPhone Face ID works well before and you are sure that it is set up with no mistake, troubleshoot your unlocking condition, like your surroundings. Because the iPhone Face ID not working happens when you are in the wrong place or unlock it in an incorrect way. Here provide some possible remedies for you to check one by one.
- When the alert "move iPhone lower" appears, you should ensure that you are holding your iPhone far away from your face in case your whole face can be recognized. But don't place it too far, 10-20 inches is the best distance. Otherwise, your iPhone will recognize the by-passers faces.
- Take off your jewelry and other ornaments on your face, such as glasses, masks, colored contact lenses, etc. Expose your eyes, nose, mouth and eyebrows out of air. If you have makeup, try to remove it.
- Remove things that may be covering your TrueDepth cameras and sensors, like dirt, junk, debris, your finger or your palm. If there is something, a pop-up will remind you that "Camera covered". You'd better wipe them with a clean cloth.
- Bring down your iPhone case or screen protector since the two of them have the possibility in hide dust and dirt, which may cover cameras and sensors and cause the issue that your iPhone Face ID not working.
- Check the lighting conditions when you are using Face ID. When it comes to being too light or too dark, your face is hard to be recognized.
Part 2. Check iPhone
After checking the surroundings around you, if your Face ID still can't be unlocked, it's time to focus on your iPhone itself. Here are two methods to check your Face ID not work issue- the easiest and fastest way is to restart your iPhone and the other effective way is to update your iOS system to the latest version.
2.1 Restart/Force Restart iPhone
Follow the steps below to restart your iPhone.
iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, and later: press and hold Volume Up/Down and the Power button → release when the power-off slider appears → drag the slider to turn off → hold the Power button for seconds to turn on
iPhone 6, 7, 8, and SE (2nd and 3rd generation): press and hold the Side button until the power-off slider appears → drag the slider and wait for seconds to turn off → hold the Power button until the Apple logo appears
iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, and earlier: press and hold the Top button → drag the power-off slider and wait for a while → press and hold the Top button to turn on
If you can't enter your iPhone using Face ID, force restart is a good way to fix your issue. Also, here are different force restart methods for different device models.
iPhone 8 and later: quickly press the Volume Up button and release it → quickly press the Volume Down button and release it → hold the Side button → release when the Apple logo appears
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus: hold the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button→ release them once the Apple logo appears
iPhone 6, 6s Plus, or iPhone SE (1st Generation): hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button → if the Apple logo appears, release the two button
2.2 Update iPhone
There is another possibility of your Face ID not working on iPhone - the iOS version is too old to support your system to unlock your Face ID smoothly. And the latest iOS version repairs the Face-ID-related problems, thus, you can upgrade your iOS system to the newest one. Since you can't unlock your iPhone, it is not available to use iPhone Settings to update. But you are able to upgrade by iTunes or Joyoshare UltFix. As an iOS system recovery tool, the latter offers powerful features, and the upgrade iOS feature is included.
- Plug your iPhone into your previously trusted computer → Open iTunes → Click iPhone icon → Click Summary → Hit Check for Update → Hit Update
- Plug your iPhone into your computer → Open Joyoshare UltFix → Click Upgrade/Downgrade iOS → Choose iOS Upgrade → Download Firmware Package → Click Start Upgrade
Part 3. Solve iPhone Face ID Not Working by MagFone iPhone Unlocker
If the problem is not on your face and your iPhone as well, I recommend you remove your iPhone Face ID directly to get rid of the trouble. MagFone iPhone Unlocker is the one that has the capability to unlock your Face ID and fix your Face ID not working iPhone.
Except for Face ID, MagFone iPhone Unlocker is able to unlock Touch ID, custom numeric code and custom alphanumeric code. Meanwhile, if you forget the Screen Time passcode or Apple ID password, or you want to bypass MDM, it can unlock them with a high success rate. MagFone iPhone Unlocker supports all modes of iOS devices and iOS system versions and your iPhone locks can be safely removed in three simple steps.
Key Features of MagFone iPhone Unlocker
* Security Verified. 5,481,347 people have downloaded it.
- Unlock Face ID and fix Face ID not working on iPhone
- Remove Touch ID, custom numeric code and custom alphanumeric code
- Bypass Apple ID password, Screen Time passcode and MDM restrictions without passcode
- Support the latest version of iOS and iPadOS, as well as, alll models of iOS devices
Step 1 Connect iPhone to Your Computer
Connect your iPhone to your computer through a USB cable. Then select "Unlock iOS Screen" on the main interface and click the start button.
Step 2 Enter DFU/Recovery Mode
Put your iPhone into DFU mode or recovery mode. There is a detailed instruction on the interface guiding you into the DFU mode. And if you want to enter recovery mode, click the bule link on the bottom so that you can follow it to get into recovery mode.
Step 3 Download and Verify Firmware Package
Once you enter DFU/recovery mode, click the blue arrow to the next step. Here you should check your iPhone's information to confirm whether MagFone iPhone Unlocker detects correctly. After your confirmation, click the download button to download the matching firmware package. Wait for a while, it will verify automatically.
Step 4 Unlock Your Face ID
Make sure that you back up your important information and that your iPhone is full of battery, knowing that your iOS system is going to upgrade to the latest version, you can click the Unlock button to unlock your Face ID. After the "Unlock Completed" interface appears, your Face ID is removed successfully and your problem is solved.
Facing your iPhone Face ID not working, the first step you should do is to check your Face ID unlocking condition, and you can know where the problem is and how to adjust. If it is not caused by your surroundings, you should move to troubleshoot your iPhone. If you feel that the examination is so lengthy or it doesn't work, MagFone iPhone Unlocker can help you save your time and rescue your iPhone.